Tuesday, January 15, 2013

It's January - Eeek! - And a musing

I realized today that following my last post, I could very easily see my readers (if they're out there) being left with the impression that the aforementioned dental session has been going on ever since November....leaving me toothless!  Happy to say, that's not the case.  All went well.  I still have the remainder of my teeth, and I am deeply hoping not to have a repeat of that experience.  The dentist's office is always such an immediate reminder that we're human and therefore, subject to constant change.  Kind of wish my teeth were invulnerable.  Don't you wish yours were?

Now, for a stray musing that's been recurring a lot lately.  Have you noticed how most people cross a street?  Not the ones who stick to the cross walks.  No.  I mean everybody else.  Everybody I've seen lately crossing the street - either while I'm at a light or having them cross directly in front of my car in the middle of the street - don't directly cross the street.  They all "angle" their way  across the street.

It's never a direct cross - i.e. a 90 degree cross from the side of the road.  You will notice this is true, even if the traffic is stopped in both directions.  Anglers will manage to angle as they weave their way through the cars.  And, of course, the more frustrating anglers tend to dawdle in front of your car especially if they notice you getting frustrated.  Many, many times these angle crossers seem to be doing it where ever and when ever they wish.  There is no apparent concern for their own safety.  Human vs. machine.  Or Human vs. Driver's reaction time and really, really good brakes.  It makes you wonder - are they all invulnerable?  Or do they all have a secret death wish?

Heaven help you if you comment on the fact they're dawdling away in front of your car, or that they've   scared the bejezus out of you because they just stepped out in front of you - irregardless of how fast you are going, and whether or not there's a green light.  You are most likely to be given the finger or sworn at most ferociously.  In one instance, I was hounded for about 100 feet, and sworn at for every step they took.  Truly - I did not start it by swearing at them.  I had shaken my arms at them.  I was just in shock.  Personally, I'm just really glad I didn't hit the child in the stroller when she was pushed in front of my car - in the middle of the street - from behind a van.  

At any rate this is not meant to be a rant.  It just puzzles me.  Don't folks realize that when they angle across a street - they are exposed to "vehicular traffic" far more than if they just go straight across?  It's a simple matter of geometry! lol.  And yes, I have to confess, when I'm feeling strong and quick of foot (if not impatient), I, too, will angle my way across the street.  It just seems to be an odd predilection for us humans to have when you consider  the general size and heft of  the vehicles on our roads.


No comments:

Post a Comment